Tuesday 7 October 2014

Books for Greatly Improving One's Life

Gravitating towards self-help books has been a result of the reduced time I have in my life for reading.

I was genuinely surprised at how much I've learned, grown and developed as a result of reading these books, and I've been raving about them ever since to all of my friends...
Not to sound too much like a billboard, but these books definitely deliver what they are meant for - overall happiness, improvement, peace and wisdom in your life.
If you don't trust me, trust the Dalai Llama.

Warning: Reading this once hits the surface. Every time you re-read this, will be a different experience.

4/5 on Goodreads


The title of the book really does it justice - I have gained so much insight, and I've re-read it twice and still haven't fully grasped the depth of the content - very straight forward but a slow read (four months) as the benefit only comes if you apply it's lessons to your own life and situations.

What I've Learned:
1) How to deal with negative emotions such as stress, greif, confusion, anxiety, sadness in a variety of productive ways
2) How to unlock your own potential by gaining insight into who you are as a person
3) How to find happiness through situations in which you think there would be none

4/5 on Goodreads


Read this at the beginning of the summer; works by helping someone understanding their capability to succeed, and especially useful to read if you're experiencing doubt, indecision or confusion.

What I've Learned: 
1) Willpower is like a muscle - the more you use it, the more it's fatigued
2) Willpower shouldn't have to be used often, only when necessary
3) How to get through moments when you think you have no motivation

4.1/5 on Goodreads


Not for the faint of heart, but the challenge is greatly worth the effort. The translator did a choppy job and it's awkwardly worded at times, but I like how at the end of each chapter, there was a step by step list of how to apply the lesson you learned you your own life and situations.
It makes you appreciate the complexity of happiness - and shows you methods of approaching difficult situations in productive ways.

What I've Learned:
1) How to develop peace in my life
2) Developing new methods of accepting difficult situations rather than opposing them
3) Developed a healthy perspective in assessing my own happiness
* Must read for anyone in my opinion

These would be great books to read in conjunction as they compliment each other in different ways. The Art of Happiness definitely encompases many more lessons and ideas about well living and peace that The Book of Secrets does not give a deep enough assessment about. Happiness definetley needs a whole book dedicated to it's explanation.
& Willpower can be helpful for anyone seeking career success, can't imagine anyone who would mind that advice.

Enjoy,
- Marina G.

No comments:

Post a Comment